Rovinj is an ideal vacation spot because, aside from numerous cultural landmarks, it offers beautiful beaches, promenades, cycling tracks, excellent entertainment, accommodation facilities and catering facilities. The old town of Rovinj is considered the prototype of a Mediterranean town, and its panorama contains all of the elements of the Croatian tourist motto „Mediterranean as it once was“. The small hilly peninsula is full of narrow lanes, small squares and tall houses that rise in cascades towards the top of the hill, where the Church of St Euphemia, lady patron of Rovinj, is situated. Church St Euphemia was built in 1756 and is the biggest trademark of the city. It contains the stone sarcophagus of St Euphemia that, legend has it, drifted here from Constantinople in the 9th century. The bell tower is 60 meter high, and at the top is the copper statue of St Euphemia that turns in the wind. Aside from the Church of St Euphemia, Rovinj has many smaller churches and chapels like the Church of the Holy Cross, the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy, ect. The main square, Marshal Tito Square, is the liveliest place in town, located on the shore, below the old town. There you will find the clock tower from the 19th century with the Venetian lion, former tower and a part of the city walls. If you start towards the north and the Valdibora Square, you will pass the market and fish market. To the west lies Matteotti Square and Veli Square and to the south is the pier, the favorite local promenade. At the entrance into the old town and its main street, Grisia, lies the Baroque Balbi Arch, built in 1679. Grisia street leads from the Balbi Arch and uphill, towards the Church of St Euphemia and it is filled with small galleries.
Rovinj archipelago and coastal area became a natural reserve in 1968 so that the environment and its tourist significance could be preserved. Outside the Rovinj port is the island of St Katarina, bought in 1905 by the Polish count Milewsky, who brought soil to the island, planted it, paved the paths and built the castle. To the south, are the islands St Andrija and Maškin (also known as Crveni otok), connected by an embankment. This island has a castle, a hotel and beautiful gravel beaches, and the island of Maškin is reserved for nudists. The light house St Ivan is located on the furthermost island of the archipelago, and can be rented for accommodation. South of Rovinj is the area of Zlatni rt (Punta Corrente), a beautiful protected park-forest. Through the shade of the pine trees and exotic cedars runs a promenade also ideal for cycling or jogging. Here are the most beautiful beaches, and at cape Montauro there is an old Venetian rock quarry, which is one of the most popular destinations for free climbing in Croatia. With all that natural beauty and a few five star hotels, Rovinj is a tourist pearl of the Croatian Adriatic.